Today was a great day for firing up the kiln.
Students came from far and wide; all 5 of them!!
(No point in having too many students with only a small kiln). We are still testing so best to keep the disappointments to a minimum.
We were determined to try some new tricks (new to us anyway).
We made a list of what we wanted to try. We watched the videos avidly
Terra siggatalla Was put on 5 pots pots at bone dry stage and polished between coats(3 in all) with a hand inside plastic bag. We set aside two pots for the horse hair and feather technique.
Naked Raku looked really interesting and I was looking forward to seeing how they turned out. We put terra sig on the remaining 3 and buffed them up.
Add pictures. Test grid layout below.
We had various pots to play about with.
I made a clear glaze, tin white glaze and a turquoise glaze.
I learnt two big lessons!
1. When making the blue tin glaze. I had measured out the ingredients and was waiting for the tin oxide to come in the post. When it came I forgot to stir the ingredients and added the tin glaze and water. The mix went instantly lumpy and some lumps were as solid as a rocks. I used my hand mixer and broke it! The glaze had to be sieved, the lumps were left out to dry and I had to grind them to powder with a pestle and mortar. I did dip a small bowl before doing this to see how it came out, the glaze was a bit gritty. I thought of washing it off but I had applied wax resist to the rim so thought it could be another test pot.
2. I wanted to add red copper oxide to some tin white. I thought I had better mix it in a little glaze before adding it to drum. Luckily I did! The oxide wouldn’t break down, it just settled on the top and seemed water proof! I went on the net and found the answer. I had to break the surface tention in the molicules by adding a few dots of washing up liquid. It worked. ADD PICTURES